For questions, please contact the events manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This event has passed.
Bloomery Plantation Distillery Tour 2016
27 Aug 2016 @ 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm EDT
Bloomery Plantation is a 12-acre farm steeped in history—and moonshine! A former ironworks, today it is a charming mini-distillery where they make artisan cordials by hand from their farm's own lemons and raspberries.
What does this have to do with technical communication, you ask? Well, it turns out running a business like this requires a lot of labeling. The process of creating SweetShines, as they call their artisan cordials, is quite technical. That's our story and we're sticking to it. We will enjoy a tour of the grounds and hear about the slightly tarnished past of this neck of the woods while we strengthen our ties to one another as a network of technical communicators.
Despite the focus on spirits in the Bloomery's tasting room, this is actually a great event for families, with lots of land to explore.
Food is not available at the Bloomery Plantation but you can bring your own picnic (be sure to include food, non-alcoholic drinks, and paper products; be prepared to carry out your own trash) if you'd like. Nearby restaurants include Alfredo's, KFC, Subway, and Chick-Fil-A.
- 3:00 Arrive and gather with our group
- 3:15 Tour of grounds and history
- 4:15 Tasting
- 5:00 Hang out and network
- 6:00 Official event end and live music begins
- 8:00 Live music ends and Bloomery closes
- Don't bring in any other alcohol, per West Virginia law.
- GPS will get you lost. Use Google or Mapquest.
- Dress casually. High heels will get you stuck in the soil.
- Feel free to bring kids and kid-friendly drinks.