For questions, please contact the events manager: email@example.com
- This event has passed.
WRITING WORKSHOP: How Web Design Trends Are Changing the Way We Write Content
4 Mar 2015 @ 9:30 am UTC-5| $99.00
STC WDCB members can use the following discount code to receive 10% off the workshop cost: STCWDC-WebWritingWorkshop
Today’s web design trends affect more than the way sites look and work; they affect how we write content. Writers are being asked to write less text, to let the images and icons communicate more. But can we continue to write less without making our content shallow and ordinary?
If you are a communications professionals who writes digital content, sign up now for this hands-on half-day content writing workshop. We’ll take a close look at five design trends that are changing the way we write for online readers:
- Infinite scrolling
- Card format for visual browsing
- Sharelines, or instantly tweetable summaries readers can click and share
- “The fold”
- Oversize typography
You'll see examples of excellent content written within the five design trends, learn more about the issue of "short vs. long" content, and get vital tips on how to write content that fits today's design trends without compromising quality.
Who should attend
- Content writers or editors
- Content managers
- Writers who want to make sure their existing skills work within these new design trends
- Designers who want to know how content writers think and work
- Anyone involved in a desktop-to-mobile redesign or a static-to-responsive redesign
What you’ll do
- Learn about the five design trends and see examples of each
- Evaluate the quality of the content written within these design trends
- Practice writing content for websites and social media
- Discuss how your company’s website design affects what and how you write
What you’ll receive
- A course notebook with guidance, activities, and examples you can use on the job
- Access to a private resources page with practical information you can use in your own content writing projects
- Workshop. We’ll begin at 9:30 am and end at 12:30 pm. (E-WRITE will provide coffee, juice, and light snacks.)
- Optional brown bag lunch. Please consider staying for the optional brown bag lunch and roundtable discussion from 12:30 – 1:30 pm. Bring your own lunch. We’ll spend the hour discussing your company’s web design and web content. You’ll get the group’s feedback on your content writing and help with upcoming projects.
About the instructor
Leslie O'Flahavan, principal of E-WRITE, will lead the workshop. Leslie is an experienced, versatile writing instructor who has been writing content and teaching customized writing courses for Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and non-profit organizations since founding E-WRITE in 1996, which was also the year she coined the phrase "bite, snack, and meal" to describe how to write content in different sizes for different audiences.
Tuition refund policy: You will receive a full refund if you cancel before February 25, 2015. If you cancel between February 25, 2015 and March 4, 2015, you will receive a 50% refund. If you cannot attend, you may send a substitute.
1146 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036 United States
December 14 @ 7:00 pm - 10:30 pm EST