- This event has passed.
InfoDevDC Meetup — Getting Organized: Practical Guidelines for a Scalable Project Architecture
7 Oct 2014 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm UTC-5
Join us as we partner with InfoDevDC for Getting Organized: Practical Guidelines for a Scalable Project Architecture, featuring speaker Richard Rabil, Senior Technical Writer at Opower and STC WDCB member.
A description of his presentation appears below.
There is an abundance of information on the web about the features and capabilities of sophisticated documentation tools (such as MadCap Flare and Adobe RoboHelp), and yet many of these resources seldom include an in-depth analysis of one the most obvious challenges that writers face: no matter how powerful a tool is, we still need to set up and maintain a scalable system for the hundreds of files we inevitably create.
As the sheer number of topics and deliverables maintained by a documentation team grows, it becomes increasingly important to develop a system of content management that is well-organized, relatively consistent, and optimized to support long-term expansion and maintenance. In this presentation, I’ll provide some practical guidelines and techniques for designing a scalable project architecture. While the underlying principles I will be discussing are tool-agnostic, there will be an emphasis on creating scalable projects for help authoring tools (specifically I will use MadCap Flare for my illustrations). You will learn:
- Practical ideas for organizing projects and folders at the right level of granularity, with team collaboration and scalability factors in mind
- Guidelines for establishing and abiding by naming conventions for different types of content
- Guidelines for policies your team can use when creating reusable content such as graphics, CSS, snippets, and other resources
- 7 Oct 2014
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- Local STC News & Events, Partners & Sponsors, Professional Networking, Related Organizations, Related Orgs' Events, STC, TechTools
- Event Tags:
- Appian, Event, Events, meeting, Membership, networking, Opower, technical communication, technical publications, washington dc chapter
September 9 @ 8:30 am - 6:00 pm UTC-5