For questions, please contact the events manager: email@example.com
- This event has passed.
Certified Professional Technical Communicator (CPTC) Course
7 Sep 2017 @ 9:00 am - 8 Sep 2017 @ 5:00 pm EDT
This two-day course, along with Richard Johnson-Sheehan’s Technical Communication Today, Fifth Edition, prepares you to successfully complete the Foundation-Level CPTC exam. Through discussion, presentation, and classroom exercises, this course will cover the nine core competencies identified by the Society for Technical Communication:
- Project Planning
- Project Analysis
- Content Development
- Organizational Design
- Written Communication
- Review and Editing
- Visual Communication
- Content Management
- Production and Delivery
This certification can help you set yourself apart from other technical communicators in the industry. For more benefits, check out https://www.stc.org/certification/why. For additional information about the CPTC program, including continuing education requirements, please visit http://www.stc.org/certification.
- What are the course times? This two-day course is 9:00 am-5:00 pm on Thursday, September 7, 2017 and Friday, September 8, 2017. Participants are expected to participate in both full days of class to prepare for the CPTC exam at the end of the course.
- Are there any prerequisites for this course? It is highly recommended that you purchase or rent a copy of Richard Johnson-Sheehan’s Technical Communication Today, Fifth Edition, to study before the course begins and reference during the course.
- What additional materials do I need to complete this course? You should bring a notebook, pen, and #2 pencil for the course. It is also highly recommended that you purchase or rent a copy of Richard Johnson-Sheehan’s Technical Communication Today, Fifth Edition, to study before the course begins and reference during the course.
- How do I register for my CPTC exam? The exam is included in the course fee and will be taken at the end of the course before you leave on Friday.
- Can this course be cancelled? A minimum of four registrations are required for the course to happen, unless the instructor decides to host the course with fewer students. If there are not at least four registrants, the trainer will notify the students that the course will be cancelled at least two business days before the course begins.
About Your Instructors
Jamie Gillenwater has been a professional communicator for more than a decade. As the owner of Transcend Text, LLC, she has worked with clients in the pharmaceutical, energy, and professional development fields. Jamie is also a CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer (CTT+) and an CPTC-accredited trainer.
Alan Houser is a former president of the Society for Technical Communication and a CPTC-accredited trainer. As president of Group Wellesley, Inc., Alan helps organizations improve their content workflows. Alan also holds the the Certified Technical Trainer (CTT+) and Certified Online Training Professionals (COTP) credentials.
Together, Jamie and Alan will lead you through the course to help you prepare for your exam on the final day of training.